Wildlife Computers Introduces New Solar-Powered, GPS-equipped Argos Transmitter (PTT) Tag for Birdstop of page
Company brings simplicity, power and its mature, trusted technology to the field of avian research
Redmond, Washington—September 22, 2017—Wildlife Computers, the leading innovator of advanced wildlife telemetry solutions, today announced the introduction of the Rainier-S20, a solar-powered, GPS-equipped Argos transmitter (PTT) tag specifically designed for birds. The Rainier-S20 is suitable for birds weighing as little as 650 grams to be tracked with GPS precision and accuracy over land and sea for multiple seasons.
The Rainier-S20 is designed with the avian species in mind. The “smaller is better” approach to design means there’s no need for a bigger tag on a bigger bird. The tag has a very low profile and sports a flexible antenna, a smooth, rounded surface, and no cutting edges to minimize mass, drag and risk of injury. The tag can also be elevated with neoprene base pads to keep the solar panels above the feather line for enhanced charging.
“Our goal in creating this tag was to listen to researchers and take a holistic approach to the design,” said Melinda Holland, president and CEO of Wildlife Computers. “We wanted to ensure that the natural behavior and responses from tagged birds were representative of their non-tagged counterparts. We were able to achieve this goal with this minimally-intrusive design.”
Other key features of the Rainier-S20 include:
“The team and the research community worked very hard on the production of this tag. It was very important to us that we got a lot of input from the scientist community,” continued Holland. “To date we’ve deployed 31 prototype tags on eight different species in the USA, South Africa, Zambia, Mozambique, Swaziland and New Zealand. Our longest deployment to date is over 13 months. And currently, Mike Lockhart of Laramie, Wyoming has fitted Rainier tags on two ferruginous hawks (Buteo regalis) and five golden eagles (Aquila chrysaetos)—one with over 140 days of continuous transmissions over a large area of central Wyoming/Colorado.”
- Smart transmission protocol—each Argos uplink contains up to four GPS locations, the latest and three randomized from the archive
- Quick boost battery charging—the tag fully charges via USB in 45 minutes
- Non-volatile storage of full data archive
- Precise GPS fixes—data are date and time stamped to within two minutes of the actual fix, not hours
- Customer programmable—customers can easily program the tags via an intuitive web-based interface from any Windows®-compatible device
- LEDs provide visual tag status—customers can see if the tag is charging, deployed, etc.
- GPS chipset rated accuracy of +/-11 m
“Wildlife Computers created a great avian tag in the Rainier-S20. They really listened to input from biologists, and are a great bunch of folks to work with,” said Mike Lockhart, a retired U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Biologist with years of telemetry experience on a variety of wildlife species. “I love the design of the new test model. The antenna is thin, somewhat short, and well positioned to facilitate different attachment applications on a wide range of species. I think this tag shows enormous promise as an effective satellite platform coupled with great sensitivity toward the welfare of tagged birds.”
The Portal Advantage
One of the biggest advantages of the Rainier-S20 is its compatibility with the Wildlife Computers Data Portal. The Wildlife Computers Data Portal is a powerful suite of tools that enables researchers and institutions to more easily explore and manage their key scientific data. Data are seamlessly collected from the Rainier-S20 and automatically uploaded to the Wildlife Computers Portal where it can be easily accessed and managed from any web-enabled device. Data storage in the Portal is unlimited and can be easily exported into multiple formats including KMZ files to open in Google Earth.
“We developed the Rainier-S20 using our long-standing and successful technology to help researchers deliver the results they need,” said Holland. “The design, parameter-driven customization options, data accessibility and storage, and support services that make up the Rainier-S20 package are unmatched in the avian tracking market.”
We are taking orders for the Rainier-S20 starting today. For more information contact Wildlife Computers at +1 (425) 881-3048 or email@example.com. You can also visit https://wildlifecomputers.com/our-tags/rainier-s20/ to learn more.
About Wildlife Computers
Wildlife Computers is the leading innovator of advanced wildlife telemetry solutions. Propelled by its mission to promote the sustainable use of our global environment, Wildlife Computers creates the most innovative technologies that empower data-driven decisions. Wildlife Computers provides unique consultative services, an unsurpassed commitment to quality, and impeccable customer service to get you the data you need when you need it. Learn more at WildlifeComputers.com
+1 (360) 810-5021
Tag Agent only works on Windows XP or higher.
Tag Agent administers the following tags:
BathyGraph, DSA, mrPAT, PTR, SPOT5, SPOT6, SPOT6-F, MiniPAT
The following are required:
By installing Tag Agent, you agree to the following terms and conditions:
- Windows XP or Higher
- Windows Installer 3.1
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (x86 and x64)
- USB Communications Cable Drivers (64-bit, 32-bit)
General Terms Agreement
This agreement relates to software provided free of charge for the purposes of managing Wildlife Computer tags (“Software”).
- Acceptance of Terms
- By using the Software of Wildlife Computers in any way, including using, transmitting, downloading or uploading the Software, you agree to these General Terms.
- You may not use the Software, or accept the General Terms, if (i) you are not of legal age to form a binding contract with Wildlife Computers, or (ii) you are prohibited by law from receiving or using the Software, or (iii) you are using it in conjunction with data generated from any other manufacturer’s tags.
- Use of Software
- You agree to not use this Software for any commercial purpose, or to transfer it to anyone who intends to use it for a commercial purpose, without written permission from Wildlife Computers. For the purposes of this section, “commercial purpose” means the use of the software for a fee, charge or other consideration, or directly or indirectly in connection with any business, or other undertaking intended for profit.
- You agree to adhere to all limitations on dissemination, use and reproduction of any Software that you download, access, or receive from Wildlife Computers, regardless of whether there is any monetary amount paid for the Software.
- Unless expressly agreed to by Wildlife Computers in writing elsewhere, Wildlife Computers has no obligation to store any materials that you upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available through your use of the Software. Wildlife Computers has no responsibility or liability for the deletion or accuracy of any materials, including your content, the failure to store, transmit or receive transmission of materials, or the security, privacy, storage or transmission of other communications originating with or involving use of the Software.
- You agree to use the Software only for purposes that are permitted by the General Terms and any applicable law, regulation, or generally accepted practices or guidelines in any applicable jurisdiction (including any laws regarding the export of data or Software to and from the United States or other applicable countries) ("Law"). These General Terms specifically prohibit use of this Software in analyzing data from tags made by other manufacturers.
- You agree not to access or attempt to access the Software by any means other than the interface provided by Wildlife Computers.
- The Software may be protected by copyright, trademark, trade dress, patent, trade secret, unfair competition, and/or other intellectual and proprietary rights (the "Intellectual Property Rights"). Except as expressly provided in the General Terms, Wildlife Computers does not grant any express or implied right to use the Software.
- Use of Software
- Any Software that is made available is the property of Wildlife Computers. You shall not use, download or install any Software unless you agree to the terms of this agreement.
- User Conduct
- You agree that you, not Wildlife Computers, are entirely responsible for all of your data that you compile, upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available to others including the public, whether publicly posted or privately transmitted. You assume all risks associated with use of your data, including any reliance on its accuracy, completeness or usefulness.
- Disclaimer of Warranties. You expressly understand and agree that:
- The Software is provided by Wildlife Computers "as is," without warranty of any kind, expressed, implied, statutory or otherwise. All potential legal claims against Wildlife Computers arising from the use of the software are waived.
- Wildlife Computers, specifically disclaims any liability with regard to any actions resulting from your use of the Software, you acknowledge use at your own discretion and risk, and you will be solely responsible for any damage to your computer system or loss of data that results from the download of any such material. Wildlife Computers assumes no liability for any computer virus or similar code that is downloaded to your computer from the Software.
- Some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion of certain warranties, the limitation or exclusion of implied warranties, or limitations on how long an implied warranty may last, so the above limitations may not apply to you.
- Limitation of Liability
- In no event shall Wildlife Computers, its officers, directors, employees, partners or suppliers be liable to you or any third party for any special, incidental, indirect, consequential or punitive damages whatsoever, including those resulting from loss of use, data or profits, whether or not foreseeable or if Wildlife Computers has been advised of the possibility of such damages, or based on any theory of liability, including breach of contract or warranty, negligence or other tortious action, or any other claim arising out of or in connection with your use of or access to the site, services or materials.
- Some jurisdictions prohibit the exclusion or limitation of liability for incidental, consequential or punitive damages. Accordingly, the limitations and exclusions set forth above shall not apply in the event they are prohibited in the jurisdiction to which Wildlife Computers transacts business.