07 Apr New Product Introduction (NPI) Engineer
- Relevant Work Experience: 10+ years of experience
- Career Level: Senior-level
- Education: Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, or closely related field
- Travel Requirements: None
For over 30 years, the scientists and technologists at Wildlife Computers have been designing and manufacturing innovative instruments to study animal movement and behavior. Data collected by our instruments are helping research scientists identify the impact of the changing global environment on our oceans and the animals that dwell in them, and support data-driven management decisions for the protection and sustainable use of living marine resources.
The Senior NPI Engineer will be a member of the engineering team supporting the manufacture of advanced wildlife telemetry products. This position requires an expert understanding of microelectronics and electro-mechanical assembly processes as it will be necessary to work with other cross-functional team members to improve production, design, and the supply chain process for new and existing products.
- Bring new products successfully through the pilot production phase and sustained project launch.
- Integrate new products into manufacturing by creating BOMs (Bill of Materials), fixtures, systems, and assembly instructions for both low-volume and commercialized products.
- Provide product and process DFM (Design for Manufacturing) input to Product Development Engineering to enhance manufacturability.
- Lead efforts to resolve electronic, test, configuration, performance, and manufacturing issues on the production floor.
- Function as liaison between engineering, manufacturing, purchasing, and suppliers to resolve supplier quality issues and to provide technical support.
- Coordinate with engineering and product management to develop and implement manufacturing plans for products.
- Manage Component Failure Analysis and Corrective Action with the supplier.
- Approve PCN (Part Chance Notice) for alternate component or recommend LTB (Last Time Buy) for EOL (End of Life) component events.
- Design new manufacturing process requirements and associated guidelines as required.
- Develop and implement efficient material handling and workflow strategies to maintain safe manufacturing processes at all times.
- Verify RF tuning of new and commercialized products.
- Lead efforts to implement ECNs (Engineering Change Notices) once approved by the Change Control Board.
- Perform work on weekends and evenings as needed to meet deadlines.
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum 10 years of experience in NPI or Manufacturing Engineering.
- Able to work in a highly cross-functional team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully work on multiple projects at once and changing priorities to meet fluctuating customer, business, and operational needs.
- Excellent communication and documentation skills.
- Familiarity with iterative development processes such as Agile Scrum.
- Demonstrated ability to represent the company to its partners, suppliers, and vendors.
- Comfortable interacting with assemblers, technicians, engineers, and management.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Experience creating various Product Quality Control (QC) documentation.
- Experience communicating effectively with Contract Manufacturers.
- Familiarity with printed circuit board fabrication standards and techniques.
- Familiarity with Lean Six Sigma principles.