SPLASH tags are data-archiving tags that transmit to the Argos system. They are used when your study requires both horizontal movement and additional information such as vertical behavior (depth). The entire raw archived data set can be recovered if the tag is physically retrieved.
A wet-dry sensor tells the tag when it is dry and able to transmit to the satellites. Flexible data collection and transmission regimes are controlled by user-settable parameters.
- SPLASH tags are generally deployed on any surface-oriented animals such as sea turtles and seals, but they can be attached to any animal that will expose the tag above the surface of the water.
- The Fastloc® GPS option can be incorporated when high-resolution locations are required or the animal’s behavior is not conducive to Argos location calculations.
- We provide a variety shapes and configurations for different species and research goals.
- Data collection and transmission parameters are user-programmable via the Host program.
- Depth, temperature and other installed sensors are sampled and stored in the archive during the deployment.
- Data are summarized and compressed for transmission when the animal surfaces.
Below are the general physical specifications of SPLASH tags. A full description of the features is available on the downloadable SPLASH Product Features (PDF). Visit our Configuration section for the specifications of the various models.
|Sensors||Depth, Temperature, and others ***|
|Depth sensor range||1700m|
|Depth sensor resolution||0.5 m|
|Depth sensor accuracy||+/- 1% of reading|
|Temperature sensor range||-40 to 60°C|
|Temperature sensor resolution||0.05°C|
|Temperature sensor accuracy||+/- 0.1°C|
|Light sensor (when installed)||5 x 10-12W.cm-2 to 5 x 10-2W.cm-2|
|Pressure rating (m)||***|
|Operating temperature rating (°C)||-20 to 50°C|
|Recommended storage temperature range (°C)||5 to -20°C|
|Maximum deployment length||***|
*** indicates the specification is dependent upon the configuration model
Permanent archive of sampled data.
Data Products that can be transmitted:
- Tracking Data: Argos, Fastloc® (when feature included in configuration)
- Depth / Temperature Time-Series
- Diving Behavior: Dive-Duration Histograms, Dive-Max-Depth Histograms, Dive-Profile Log, Time-at-Depth Histograms
- Haulout Behavior: 20-Minute Timeline, %-Dry Timeline, Dry-Deep-Neither Timeline
- Temperature Profiles: Profile of Depth and Temp (PDT), Time-Series Temperature, Time-at-Temperature Histograms
- Stomach Temperature
SPLASH10 User Guide
This “Tag and Host User Guide” is the generic manual for our SPLASH10, TDR10 and Mk10-PAT models of tags. It provides detailed description of the features of this family of tags. Includes instructions on how to use the Mk10Host program to set up and deploy the SPLASH10 tags.
SPLASH10Host (Mk10 Host Program for the SPLASH10) Version: 1.26.2008 17-Jul-2014
Installs the Mk10Host program which is used to communicate with SPLASH10 tags. Mk10Host allows you to set up the SPLASH10’s deployment parameters. It also allows you to download archived data if the tag is recovered.
SPLASH User Guide
Detailed description of the features of non-SPLASH10 models of our SPLASH tags. Includes instructions on how to use the SPLASHHost program to set up and deploy the non-SPLASH10 tags.
SPLASHHost (Host Program for the SPLASH) Version: 1.00.2004 02-Feb-2012
Installs the SPLASHHost program which is used to communicate with pre-SPLASH10 models of our SPLASH tags. SPLASHHost allows you to set up tag’s deployment parameters. It also allows you to download archived data if the tag is recovered.
WC-DAP (Wildlife Computers Data Analysis Programs) Version: 3.0.369.0 05-Jan-2016
An integrated suite of programs to decode and visualize tag data downloaded from Argos and recovered tags. Also processes Fastloc® GPS and light-based geolocation data to calculate latitude and longitude estimates.
WC-GPE2 (Wildlife Computers Global Position Estimator) Version: 2.00.0027 11-Apr-2014
Produces light-based geolocation latitude and longitude estimates. Although this program is integrated with WC-DAP it must be installed separately.