The MiniPAT is a pop-up archival transmitting tag (PAT tag, also known as a PSAT). It is a sophisticated combination of archival and Argos satellite technology. PAT tags are designed to track the large-scale movements and behavior of fish and other animals which do not spend enough time at the surface to allow the use of real-time Argos satellite tags. Sensor data are collected during deployment and archived in onboard memory. Then on a preset data, the tag releases from its host animal, surfaces, and uploads a summary of the archived data to Argos satellites.
- Flexible programing allows the researcher to customize and prioritize data transmission and release parameters.
- A complete record of depth, temperature and light-level readings are stored. Should the MiniPAT be recovered, the full archive is available for download.
- A corrodible pin allows the release of the MiniPAT from the fish on a pre-programmed date or when certain conditions indicating the tag is no longer on the fish (premature release) are met.
- Once released, the tag floats to the surface so data can be transmitted.
- The pinger allows for ratio tracking recovery.
Below are the physical specifications of the MiniPAT. A full description of the features is available on the downloadable MiniPAT Product Features (PDF).
|Sensors||Depth, Temperature, Light|
|Depth sensor range||1700m|
|Depth sensor resolution||0.5 m|
|Depth sensor accuracy||+/- 1% of reading|
|Temperature sensor range||-40 to 60°C|
|Temperature sensor resolution||0.05°C|
|Temperature sensor accuracy||+/- 0.1°C|
|Light sensor||5 x 10-12W.cm-2 to 5 x 10-2W.cm-2|
|Pressure rating (m)||2000m|
|Operating temperature rating (°C)||-20 to 50°C|
|Recommended storage temperature range (°C)||5 to -20°C|
|Maximum deployment length||2 years|
- Vertical depth movement
- Environmental temperature
Data transmitted at release:
- Tracking Data: Light-based Geolocation
- Depth/Temperature Time-Series: Detailed sampled data
- Diving Behavior: Time-at-Depth Histograms, Time-Series Depth
- Temperature Profiles: Profile of Depth and Temp (PDT), Mixed Layer Analysis, Time-Series Temperature, Time-at-Temperature Histograms
- Mortality Detection
- Argos quality pop-up locations