14 Dec Research Assistant
Wildlife Computers: a private sector company that was created by scientists, for scientists.
What We are Looking for
Wildlife Computers is looking for a Research Assistant to lead testing that validates the performance of our wildlife telemetry products. You will lay the foundation that enables successful scientific research with cutting-edge products. If you are a highly creative and motivated individual looking to apply your skills in the private sector while keeping close ties with the research community, this position is for you. We are looking for someone who has:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Marine Science, or a similar field.
- Demonstrated proficiency in generating hypotheses and designing experiments to test them.
- Strong expertise in using procedural programming languages and other tools for quantitative analysis of data.
- Hands-on field experience tagging animals as well as experience in setting up instruments and analyzing telemetry data is highly desired.
- A personality that is analytical, loves problem-solving, enjoys working collaboratively across teams in a fast-paced environment, can work with minimal supervision, has a desire to continuously grow and learn, and takes pleasure in delivering high-quality results on time.
What You Will Do in a Day
Your days will be filled with:
- Verifying our tags meet the targeted requirements for new products, as well as validating bug fixes and feature request changes on existing products.
- Creating and executing repeatable experiments (test plans) to characterize and validate tag performance. Testing includes validating tag setup, data collection, and data decoding, as well as validating the mechanical design under different environmental conditions. This is a hands-on position!
- Recording, analyzing, and interpreting test data to validate acceptable performance and identify flaws.
- Producing reports that include graphics and summarized results to explain findings.
- Identifying test protocols that should be incorporated into the regular production process to ensure our tags meet the highest quality standards.
- Monitoring and analyzing customer data to assess field performance across tag models and animal species to track changes and trends.
- Working collaboratively with engineers, product managers, technical sales staff, and external clients (researchers).
What You Get from Us
We offer the opportunity to work on cool projects, create innovative technology, and collaborate with an amazing team filled with scientists, engineers, researchers, and more. We also offer a company culture steeped in family, friendship, and stability. We embrace diversity and inclusion and encourage everyone to bring their authentic selves to work every day. With all of that, we offer the industry’s most comprehensive benefits package including:
- 40 Days of Paid Time Off (PTO)
- PTO—begin accruing 21 days per year on your very first day.
- Holidays—nine federal holidays.
- Year-end Closure—ten days off spanning the holidays.
- Competitive Medical, Dental, and Vision Coverage—three different plans to choose from.
- Health Savings Account.
- Long-term Disability.
- 401K—with a yearly Safe Harbor Contribution by the company.
- Employee Appreciation Events.
- Educational Assistance—take classes and certificate courses to maintain and improve your skills.
We will also help you elevate your professional expertise. There are opportunities for leadership, learning new skills, and mentoring. The salary for this position is USD 65,000-80,000 per year DOE.
- 40 Days of Paid Time Off (PTO)
- If our Research Assistant position intrigues you, contact us to learn more about the job.What We Do and How We Do It
Since 1992, Wildlife Computers has designed and manufactured satellite tags for a wide variety of marine animals—including seals and sea lions, penguins, large and small cetaceans, sea turtles, fish, sharks, and rays. Our tags provide essential data to researchers by communicating through low-Earth orbit (LEO) satellites. This information helps the research community better understand marine animals and how they interact within their environment. We support some of the most innovative animal research on the planet, which often drives critical policy decisions in the U.S. and other nations.Our tags and data appear in over 3,500 peer-reviewed research papers. Our customers come back year after year because we provide an unsurpassed commitment to quality when designing, manufacturing, selling, and supporting our tags. Visit our website, WildlifeComputers.com, to learn more about what we do.