20 Nov Mid-Level Mechanical Engineer
- Relevant Work Experience: 2-6 years of experience
- Career Level: Mid-Level
- Education: Bachelor of Science degree in Material Engineering or Mechanical Engineering
- Travel Requirements: Less than 10%
The Mechanical Engineer will be a member of the R&D engineering team working on the development of advanced wildlife telemetry products. This position requires a deep understanding of solid design and development practices. They will work with other cross-functional members to provide technical mechanical design level expertise and solutions to engineering problems.
- Design of mechanical assemblies and mechanisms with associated tolerancing requirements.
- Design products for manufacturability and assembly.
- Design and manufacture of plastic molded parts.
- Participate in Microelectronics product development activities including packaging concepts and board layout design.
- Develop technologies required for mechanical designs of products that operate in marine environments.
- Design, make, or order master shape packaging and attachment hardware according to product specifications.
- Participate in the design review for all new products to ensure products meet specifications and are ready for testing and production.
- Assist production by developing tooling to improve productivity and to ensure products are as simple to manufacture as possible.
- Supervise the construction of prototype and pilot/test runs by production.
- Create CAD models of all instrument components.
- Work closely with the engineering team using Scrum sprint methods for task management.
- Maintain accurate and complete CAD models and assemblies.
- Utilize company processes, tools, and practices while working to continually improve them.
- Conduct failure analyses and write concise, timely reports of test results and engineering experiments.
- Collaborate with other engineers within the company, helping them develop concepts, refine designs, analyze and problem solve.
- Perform work on weekends and evenings as needed to meet applicable deadlines.
- Duties may be modified or assigned at any time to meet the needs of the business.
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor of Science degree in Material Engineering or Mechanical Engineering.
- Proficient with SolidWorks.
- Familiarity with Altium desired.
- Experience with finite element analysis (FEA) required.
- Background should include a strong understanding of fluid flow.
- Candidate should be knowledgeable about tooling design, CNC machining, and the processes associated with product life cycles.
- Knowledgeable of advanced mechanical material properties.
- Familiar with one or more risk management techniques (i.e. Hazard Analysis, Risk Analysis, Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA), Fault Tree Analysis (FTA), etc.).
- Able to work in a highly cross-functional team environment.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills, for both internal and external audiences, at all levels.