TDR-Mk9 tags are our most cost-effective archival tags. They can be used when depth, temperature and light-levels are the only sensors required by your study. Archival tags must be physically recovered to retrieve the data.
- The small size of the TDR-MK9 configurations makes this tag suitable for implantation, external attachment on small animals, or monitoring of the performance of fishing gear.
- Depth and temperature (of the tag body) are standard sensors on all models.
- A second fast-response temperature sensor is an available configuration for applications that require a minimal time-lag in registering changes in temperature external to the tag body, such as oceanographic studies.
- Light-level and a second temperature sensor can be incorporated on a sensor stalk for applications that require measurement of ambient light and temperature while the tag is implanted within the animal’s body.
- A wet/dry sensor is included in some configurations.
Below are the general physical specifications of TDR-Mk9 tags. A full description of the features is available on the downloadable TDR-Mk9 Product Features (PDF). Visit our Back/Head mount and Surgical Implant Configuration sections for the specifications of the various models.
||Surgically-implanted or externally mounted***
||Depth, Temperature and Light-level ***
|Depth sensor range
||0-200m, 0-1700m, 0-2000m ***
|Depth sensor resolution
|Depth sensor accuracy
||+/- 1% of reading
|Temperature sensor range
||-40 to 60°C
|Temperature sensor resolution
|Temperature sensor accuracy
|Light sensor (when installed)
||5 x 10-12W.cm-2 to 5 x 10-2W.cm-2
|Pressure rating (m)
|Operating temperature rating (°C)
||-20 to 50°C
|Conductivity operational limits
||0.1 to 5 S/m
|Recommended storage temperature range (°C)
||5 to -20°C
|Maximum deployment length
||Over 8 years based on sampling depth, body temperature, external temperature and light every 30 seconds. Maximum deployment length is limited by memory thus depends upon the user-programmed sampling rates.
*** indicates the specification is dependent upon the configuration model
The Mk9-TDR provides a time-series of readings from each sensor.
A full suite of data products are easily constructed from the sampled data using our WC-DAP program. These data products are compatible with the data products that are transmitted by our Pop-up and SPLASH tags.
- Tracking Data: Light-based Geolocation
- Diving Behavior: Dive-Duration Histograms, Dive-Max-Depth Histograms, Dive-Profile Log, Time-at-Depth Histograms
- Haulout Behavior: 20-Minute Timeline, %-Dry Timeline, Dry-Deep-Neither Timeline
- Temperature Profiles: Profile of Depth and Temp (PDT), Time-Series Temperature, Time-at-Temperature Histograms
TDR-Mk9 User Guide
Detailed description of the features of the TDR-Mk9. Includes instructions on how to use the Mk9Host program to set up and deploy TDR-Mk9 tags.
64-bit USB Driver 18-Dec-2017
Driver for the Wildlife Computers USB-Blue communications cable. A 32-bit version is available on our Download page.
Mk9Host (Wildlife Computers Mk9 Host Program) Version: 1.09.1028 16-Apr-2010
Installs the Mk9Host program which is used to communicate with TDR-Mk9 tags. Mk9Host allows you to set up the tag’s deployment parameters. It also allows you to download archived data when the tag is recovered.
WC-DAP (Wildlife Computers Data Analysis Programs) Version: 3.0.369.0 05-Jan-2016
An integrated suite of programs to decode and visualize tag data downloaded from Argos and recovered tags. Also processes Fastloc® GPS and light-based geolocation data to calculate latitude and longitude estimates.
WC-GPE2 (Wildlife Computers Global Position Estimator) Version: 2.00.0027 11-Apr-2014
Produces light-based geolocation latitude and longitude estimates. Although this program is integrated with WC-DAP it must be installed separately.
Tag Agent only works on Windows XP or higher.
Tag Agent administers the following tags:
BathyGraph, DSA, mrPAT, PTR, SPOT5, SPOT6, SPOT6-F, MiniPAT
The following are required:
By installing Tag Agent, you agree to the following terms and conditions:
- Windows XP or Higher
- Windows Installer 3.1
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (x86 and x64)
- USB Communications Cable Drivers (64-bit, 32-bit)
General Terms Agreement
This agreement relates to software provided free of charge for the purposes of managing Wildlife Computer tags (“Software”).
- Acceptance of Terms
- By using the Software of Wildlife Computers in any way, including using, transmitting, downloading or uploading the Software, you agree to these General Terms.
- You may not use the Software, or accept the General Terms, if (i) you are not of legal age to form a binding contract with Wildlife Computers, or (ii) you are prohibited by law from receiving or using the Software, or (iii) you are using it in conjunction with data generated from any other manufacturer’s tags.
- Use of Software
- You agree to not use this Software for any commercial purpose, or to transfer it to anyone who intends to use it for a commercial purpose, without written permission from Wildlife Computers. For the purposes of this section, “commercial purpose” means the use of the software for a fee, charge or other consideration, or directly or indirectly in connection with any business, or other undertaking intended for profit.
- You agree to adhere to all limitations on dissemination, use and reproduction of any Software that you download, access, or receive from Wildlife Computers, regardless of whether there is any monetary amount paid for the Software.
- Unless expressly agreed to by Wildlife Computers in writing elsewhere, Wildlife Computers has no obligation to store any materials that you upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available through your use of the Software. Wildlife Computers has no responsibility or liability for the deletion or accuracy of any materials, including your content, the failure to store, transmit or receive transmission of materials, or the security, privacy, storage or transmission of other communications originating with or involving use of the Software.
- You agree to use the Software only for purposes that are permitted by the General Terms and any applicable law, regulation, or generally accepted practices or guidelines in any applicable jurisdiction (including any laws regarding the export of data or Software to and from the United States or other applicable countries) ("Law"). These General Terms specifically prohibit use of this Software in analyzing data from tags made by other manufacturers.
- You agree not to access or attempt to access the Software by any means other than the interface provided by Wildlife Computers.
- The Software may be protected by copyright, trademark, trade dress, patent, trade secret, unfair competition, and/or other intellectual and proprietary rights (the "Intellectual Property Rights"). Except as expressly provided in the General Terms, Wildlife Computers does not grant any express or implied right to use the Software.
- Use of Software
- Any Software that is made available is the property of Wildlife Computers. You shall not use, download or install any Software unless you agree to the terms of this agreement.
- User Conduct
- You agree that you, not Wildlife Computers, are entirely responsible for all of your data that you compile, upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available to others including the public, whether publicly posted or privately transmitted. You assume all risks associated with use of your data, including any reliance on its accuracy, completeness or usefulness.
- Disclaimer of Warranties. You expressly understand and agree that:
- The Software is provided by Wildlife Computers "as is," without warranty of any kind, expressed, implied, statutory or otherwise. All potential legal claims against Wildlife Computers arising from the use of the software are waived.
- Wildlife Computers, specifically disclaims any liability with regard to any actions resulting from your use of the Software, you acknowledge use at your own discretion and risk, and you will be solely responsible for any damage to your computer system or loss of data that results from the download of any such material. Wildlife Computers assumes no liability for any computer virus or similar code that is downloaded to your computer from the Software.
- Some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion of certain warranties, the limitation or exclusion of implied warranties, or limitations on how long an implied warranty may last, so the above limitations may not apply to you.
- Limitation of Liability
- In no event shall Wildlife Computers, its officers, directors, employees, partners or suppliers be liable to you or any third party for any special, incidental, indirect, consequential or punitive damages whatsoever, including those resulting from loss of use, data or profits, whether or not foreseeable or if Wildlife Computers has been advised of the possibility of such damages, or based on any theory of liability, including breach of contract or warranty, negligence or other tortious action, or any other claim arising out of or in connection with your use of or access to the site, services or materials.
- Some jurisdictions prohibit the exclusion or limitation of liability for incidental, consequential or punitive damages. Accordingly, the limitations and exclusions set forth above shall not apply in the event they are prohibited in the jurisdiction to which Wildlife Computers transacts business.