SPLASH10-397 Product Information
SPLASH10 tags are data-archiving, Argos satellite transmitting tags designed for tracking vertical and horizontal movements of free-range marine animals.
A SPLASH10 tag works on any animal that exposes the tag above the surface of the water. The Wildlife Computers SPLASH10 tags have been used on sea turtles, pinnipeds, sharks, and cetaceans.
It’s All About the Data
Our SPLASH10 tags contain an array of sensors including depth, temperature, light level, and wet/dry. During deployment, data are collected, summarized, and compressed for Argos transmission. The full archive is available upon recovery of the tag.
Wildlife Computers SPLASH tags appeared in over 300 publications.
Available Data Products
- Light-level Geolocation (GPE3)
- Argos Locations
- Depth Time Series
- Temperature Time Series
- Profile of Depth & Temperature (PDT)
- Time-At-Temperature Histogram (TAT)
- Time-At-Depth Histogram (TAD)
- Maximum Dive Depth Histogram
- Dive Duration Histogram
- Dive PDT
- Percent-Dry Timeline
- 20-Minute Dry Timeline
- Behavior Log
Additional Data Products Available:
- Acceleration 3-Axis Archive
- Stomach Temperature
Key Features Available in SPLASH10 Configurations
- Highly Customizable Data Collection and Transmitting Schedule—researchers have the power to customize and prioritize data transmission to capture the information that is most significant for the project. Deployments can be tailored to achieve unique experimental objectives. Flexible transmissions provide the ability to extend the life of the tag by focusing on specific seasons or times of the year.
- Full Data Archive Available on Recovery—SPLASH10 tags contain one GB of onboard memory for archiving data. This means when you recover your tag, your full data set is available, even if the battery is dead—data are maintained in the archive for up to 25 years.
- Specialized Shapes—SPLASH10 tags come in over 60 shapes and configurations. They contain an array of sensors that gather a myriad of data products.
- The Portal Advantage—SPLASH10 tags are supported by the Wildlife Computers Data Portal, a collection of data management tools and services. Developed specifically for the display and investigation of data from Wildlife Computers tags, the data portal streamlines the processes of acquiring, preserving, and sharing data services. The portal helps collect, prepare, and analyze the data returned from the tag—via Argos or the archive. Data are easily sorted, filtered, searched, uploaded, and shared. You can see a Google Earth display of your deployment track, color-coded to show the relative age of each location. You can also set up a live KMZ to get data into your own monitoring system.
Below are the physical specifications of different SPLASH10 models. A full description of the features is available on the downloadable SPLASH10 Product Features (PDF).
[table id=8 responsive=scroll /]
*** indicates the specification is dependent upon the configuration model